Hormone imbalance may be a result of illness, or may produce symptoms and biochemical changes that eventually lead to illness.
Interactions between the five hormones of the female panel and the four hormones of the male panel are fundamental to health which means that hormone imbalances may negatively impact health. These hormones include estrogens (estradiol, estrone, estriol), progesterone, cortisol, DHEAs and testosterone.
Why test hormones in saliva?
- Saliva hormone testing is excellent at uncovering hormone imbalance.
- Saliva measures hormone that actually made it to the tissue because hormones pass through saliva gland tissue before entering saliva.
- Blood measures hormones that might eventually get to tissue.
- Saliva collection is painless and easy to do at home.
- The stress of a needle puncture for blood collection tends to raise cortisol levels. Saliva is not known to raise cortisol levels.
Common Hormone Conditions:
- Weight gain
- Depression/difficulty coping/irritability
- Sleep disturbances
- Hot flashes
- Bone loss
- Breast cancer
- Erectile dysfunction
- Memory loss
- Breast enlargement
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
Saliva collection is done from the comfort of your home. There is a collection done first thing in the morning and another later in the evening.
For more advanced testing, samples may be collected more often during the day, or even the month.
Once results are complete, they are forwarded to our reception and will be viewed by your Naturopathic Doctor.