World-wide infectious disease caused by microscopic bacteria
Lyme Disease Testing
Interested to learn more? Please book an initial appointment with one of our Naturopathic Doctors.
What is Lyme disease?
Lyme disease is a world-wide infectious disease caused by microscopic bacteria carried by tiny ticks.
How is Lymes transmitted?
There are several species of deer ticks across the US that have become infected with the spiral bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi. Unsuspecting humans and animals walking through woodlands and brushy areas may be bitten by a tick and never know it. The tiny ticks, some the size of poppy seeds, may stay on your body for hours or up to days. The tick engorges itself with blood. If infected, the spirochete is transmitted to the bloodstream of the person or animal during the bite.
What are the symptoms?
A characteristic red bulls-eye rash (EM) at the site of the bite is present in less than 40% of patients. The rash may appear within days or weeks after the bite but could be hidden in the hairline or armpits.
Lyme Disease Tests
- IgG/IgM/IgA Screen (IFA)*
- IgG/IgM and IgM Antibody ELISA
- C6 Peptide
- IgG Western Blot and IgM Western Blot
- 30/31 kDA Confirmation Test*
- Lyme Dot Blot Assay (LDA)*
- Reverse Western Blot (Confirmation test for LDA)*
- Multiplex PCR for urine, whole blood, serum, CSF
- Multiplex PCR for Miscellaneous samples (skin biopsy, breast milk, semen, etc)
In addition to Lyme Disease, a co-infection may be suspected for Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis, Bartonella or Rickettsia. Pure Wellness Group offers tests for these other tick-borne illnesses.
The tests are IFA (fluorescent antibody) or direct tests by PCR. In the case of Babesia, we offer PCR tests for both B. microti and Babesia duncani (West Coast strain).
In addition, we offer a Babesia FISH (fluorescent in situ hybridization) test that detects Babesia parasites directly on air-dried blood smears.
The FISH test is highly specific for Babesia, unlike the standard test, the geimsa stain smear, which is neither sensitive or specific.
- B. microti IgG/IgM Antibody
- B duncani IgG/IgM Antibody*
- Babesia PCR Screen
- Babesia FISH (RNA)
- Rickettsia PCR for Whole Blood, Serum or CSF
- Anaplasma phagocytophila (HGE) IgG/IgM Ab
- Anaplasma phagocytophila (HGE) PCR
- Human Monocytic Ehrlichia (HME) IgG/IgM Ab
- Human Monocytic Ehrlichia (HME) PCR
- Bartonella henselae IgG/IgM Antibody
- Bartonella henselae PCR for Whole Blood, Serum*, or CSF