Visual Serving Sizes
- Thumb tip = 1 tsp
- Whole thumb = 1 tbsp; 1oz of cheese
- Palm of hand = 3 oz (1 portion of meat)
- Tight fist = ½ cup
- Loose fist or open handful = 1 cup; 1 oz nuts
- 3 oz. of meat: size of a deck of cards or bar of soap
- 8 oz. of meat: size of a thin paperback book
- 3oz. of chicken: size of a palm
- 3 oz. of fish: size of a checkbook
- 1 oz. of cheese: size of 4 Monopoly dice
- Medium potato: size of a computer mouse
- 1 cup of pasta: size of a tennis ball
- 1/2 cup of grapes (15 grapes): size of fist
- 1/2 cup of fresh fruit: size of fist
- 1 teaspoon of butter: size of a stamp as thick as your finger or thumb tip
- 2 tablespoons of salad dressing: size of a ping-pong ball
Helpful Hints (Instead of…)
- FRIED FOODS, choose BAKED, BROILED, BOILED OR GRILLED
- WHITE RICE, choose BROWN RICE
- WHITE BREAD, choose WHOLE GRAIN BREADS
- CREAMY SALAD DRESSINGS, choose OIL AND VINEGAR (ON THE SIDE…)
- POPS AND JUICES, choose MINERAL WATER or Water with Lemon or Lime
- COFFEE, choose HERBAL TEAS OR GREEN TEA
- CREAM, choose MILK
- SUGAR OR SWEETENERS, choose STEVIA
Water, Water, WATER…
We have heard this numerous times at least 8 – 8 oz glasses of water per day. Water helps detoxify your body and keeps your brain sharp. If taken, in sufficient quantity, it can relieve the stress of the liver and kidneys, so that the liver can get busy metabolizing fat stores. Get a water bottle today!
When Dining Out remember to….
- Ask for half or smaller portions.
- Eyeball an appropriate portion, set the rest aside, and ask for a doggie bag right away. Servings at many restaurants are often big enough to provide lunch for two days.
- If you have dessert, share.